Thursday, July 22, 2010

Peace...

   In a society where stress seems to be the new status symbol, peace is a fairy tale to most.  A nice idea, something to dream about and long for, but never to be reached.  All too often, I find myself falling into the rat race, gauging my success, even my Christianity, by how busy I am.


   I know that the solution to this self- inflicted stress is to spend time with God, study His Word, talk to Him about what I'm going through, and take the time to listen to His response.  Instead, I find myself spending hours on facebook, eating chocolate, drinking wine, and reading self-help books.  Sitting still and completing even one page of my study or spending one minute in prayer is such a struggle!   I find myself doing anything to avoid coming face to face with whatever awaits me in that quiet, unfamiliar stillness.


I was confused by my behavior until I came to realize that I was (and am) undergoing a spiritual battle.  In Galatians 5:17, Paul writes, "For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature. They are in conflict with each other, so that you do not do what you want."  My spirit longs for intimacy with God, but my flesh fights to hold onto comfort and familiarity.


I found my greatest encouragement, which I'd like to share with you, in Philippians 4:6-7: (italics mine)
Do not be anxious about anything (God literally commands us not to get stressed out)
but in every situation, by prayer and petition, (but means pray INSTEAD of worrying)
with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. (believe God will answer your prayers)
And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, (you'll have peace when it makes no sense to be okay given the situation you find yourself in)
 will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.  (Once peace gets in, it will help fend off the spirit of fear and doubt)


I will not go as far as to say that I am comfortable with or enjoy being still.  But I am confident of this, that he who began a good work in me will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.  (Philippians 1:6)  Be blessed, be encouraged, beloved children of God!!!

No comments: