Thursday, September 9, 2010

Lessons from a man after God's own heart

Over the last year, I've been stretched out of my comfort zone, forcing me to trust in God's provision.  I've trusted God for living situations, relationships, a church family, community, finances, employment, and direction.   Each time something changed, it became more natural to trust God.


However, in going through this so many times, I've become complacent.  It's as if I'm too exhausted to feel the weight of my circumstance, or consider the possible negative outcomes, so I just throw it out there for God to take care of.  Sadly, this "throwing it out there" often neglects time in the Word or in prayer.


This morning I was studying the Psalms and seeing how David handled distress.  What a great example!  Here is a man who was in close relationship with God, had been taken care of time and again, who placed his trust solely in God's word.  Yet his response to trial was not, "God, I'm just trusting You've got this taken care of, so I'm not going to think about it."  He PLEADED and CRIED OUT for the Lord's intervention.  In Psalm 119:147, he writes,



"I rise before dawn and cry for help, I have put my hope in Your word."


I'm re-examining my attitude now.  Am I really seeking God's hand?  Am I really asking for help?  Or am I casually mentioning requests in my prayers on occasion and trusting that God will hear me once and git er done?

No comments: